Question: Chestwall

gargaumulo - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:18 am

Hi!

I'm a 17 year old male, tall but very skinny.

My chest is protruding forward, its no difference between the left or right side of the chest or so as it seems to be in many cases. But my ribcage is very big and it's easiest to notice when i'm laying on my back.
I've had poor posture earlier in my childhood, i exercised on the gym for almost 2 years now.

Could my earlier posture have caused this?
Or have i done something wrong while exercising?
Or is it something else?

Is it anything i can do to treat this? It's looks rather bad :/

Thanks in advance, Victor
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:13 am

User avatar It is likely that your chest wall is normal. Due to you being thin it may be more prominent than in most. Some people do have rib cages that are more "expansive" than others and it makes them stick out more.

Surgical correction is possible but it is generally quite a complicated procedure and has many risks. Generally, the risks are not worth the benefits since it is a cosmetic surgery.

I would recommend you discuss your concerns with your doctor when you are in for your next physical exam. This way you can get a direct evaluation and discuss your options.

|