Forum Name: Asthma

Question: coughing and puking up mucus ,chest hurts

blake20072008 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:19 pm

im 28 male ,never had any surgeries or anything like that, not on any medication for anything. far as i know im healthy and normal and all .

let me start by saying i have smoked on and off for years . but no more than maybe 10 cigs a day max. im curently not smokeing at all and havent for the past 6 months now. about 2 years back i smoked and got this tickling cough in my throat it lasted probably maybe 1 week.once i stoped smokeing it went away...

well last time i started back smokeing 6 months ago...i smoked maybe 5 or 6 cigs a day for maybe a week i got this coughing again tickling in the throat..this time it didnt go away as before.....

anyways hears the run down on whats happening to my body. right now i can barely swallow i can feel the mucus slime all in my throat doesnt matter what i drink or eat its still there, and now my chest is starting to hurt . having some trouble breathing and have to set in front of the air conditionar alot. when i get hot just even a light sweat i start gaging and and hacking up mucus before its over i will be to the point im litteraly throwing up mucus and the coughing gets very very loud...and this goes on for about 30 minutes the mucus is useualy clear white with an ocasional green color...the worst is when i take a shower in the hot water, ive come to dread showers cause its the worst , i gag the most and hack and spit up the mucus the most in the shower.... I do cough when im not hot but its not as bad and useually its just 3 or 4 coughs then it stops and i useually don't gag and hack up mucus unless im hot. or my body is a tad warm
this has been going on for 6 months now. and aparently its not going away.. any clues to whats wrong with me. far as i can tell im not running a fever or anything. i do feel tired and pretty run down though.
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:31 pm

User avatar Dear Blake20072008,
I am going to guess you have no insurance and no primary physician. Based on the information you presented in your post, you need to get an assessment by a physician, There are many things that can cause the symptoms you describe, some of them can be easily resolved, some are of serious concern. Please consider presenting at one of your local urgent care centers or emergency rooms to be evaluated by an MD. You can usually make payment arrangements through the business office of the hospital or urgent care center. Lung issues can be serious - please address this as soon as possible!
 blake20072008 - Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks but unfortunatly i cant aford to go to a doctor. guess i ll just have to tough it out even if it hurts me in the long run. thanks though
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:19 pm

User avatar Dear blake20072008,
Have you looked into community resources in your town? Many places have local community health agencies that can see you for a sliding scale fee - one based on each client/patient's income level. If that is not an option in your area, I strongly advise that you "do the math". The symptoms you describe are potentially serious enough that you would be wise to consider which is the more prudent gamble: making arrangements for payments at a hospital emergency room to find out if you have some medical situation occurring that can be treated now, vs a false alarm that would eventually perhaps clear on its own. OR: to save the dollars now and end up with a potentially serious situation that if left unattended might even become critical, perhaps even life-threatening. Sometimes, choices aren't between good and bad, they are between bad and worse.
 blake20072008 - Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:54 pm

this is blake again im up a creek with out a paddle...
i don't have any money i lost my job couple months back, was working with my uncle he replaced me with his buddys nephew.so im out of a job never had any insurance, now im so sick i couldnt hold onto a job even if i had one.

living with parents... They know that i am sick and refuse to pay one penny for me to go to the doctor no matter how sick i get even if its life threatning that is there own words.. im now basicaly choking on my own mucus in my throat its very hard for me to swallow or breath..i spend alot of my time seting at the air conditionar cause the air is cold and its geting harder for me to breath in on my own... i dunno if this has caused some kinda asthma related symptoms or what....

my throat burns from all the coughing i guess. i get lite headed and dizzy now easily. have hardly any strength in my hands ,especialy my right hand....Have chest pains in chest as well

What do i do, i have no money to sick to work, parents refuse to help...im afraid im going to die
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:07 pm

User avatar I agree with Marceline, this is a very serious situation (as you recognize).

There generally are clinics that can see patients at a free or reduced fee rate for those without insurance. Also, if you are unemployed you may now qualify for state insurance. I would recommend you talk with your local health department to see if there are clinics you can visit. You can also call your local department of economic security to inquire about the possibility of a state insurance.

I hope you are able to be evaluated soon. This may end up being much worse as time goes by.

|