Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Pneumonia and Lung Lesion

wifeandmom - Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:51 am

Hi! I was diagnosed with double pneumonia nearly 5 weeks ago. I am a 39 year old female/non-smoker. I was put on 2 consecutive Z-packs. 2 weeks later after initial diagnosis, they did another chest x-ray and dr said I was still wheezing and sent me to a pulmonary specialist. The specialist said there was a spot on the x-ray so she ordered a catscan. I was put on 16 days of prednisone and doxycycline. Feeling better but chest really tight. The catscan came back with report that I have a lung lesion. My blood tests came back positive for mycoplasma. The dr said the z-packs should have addressed the mycoplasma so she said she was concerned. The dr said they could not rule out cancer but it probably was just a bad infection. They couldn't see me for 2 weeks. I go in tomorrow but am very concerned. Could you tell me what I can expect? What could this possibly be? Why can't they rule out cancer and what are the chances it might be cancer?

Thanks so much!

Wifeandmom
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:20 pm

User avatar Hi Wifeandmom,

I would tend to agree that the area is probably related to infection and not cancer since you just had a bad pneumonia. They are unable to say for sure because when a CT scan shows a consolidated lesion in the lungs it is unable to give much information about it.

You have several things that help me say that it probably is not cancer. You are still young and you do not smoke.

I suspect that they will want to do some follow up imaging to look and see if the spot is getting better/worse or staying the same. If it is getting better it is almost certainly related to the infection. If it is the same or worse (still possibly due to infection) they may want to recommend you have a biopsy of the area to help determine for sure what is going on.

Azithromycin (z-pack) is the correct treatment for mycoplasma pneumonia. Unfortunately, even with treatment, mycoplasma pneumonia still tends to cause ongoing cough/chest pain until it resolves on its own. The antibiotic help keep the bug from being contagious but really doesn't do that much for treating an already established infection.

Best wishes. I hope all goes well for you.
 wifeandmom - Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:02 pm

Dear Dr. Lowe,

Thank you so much for your response! When I went to the doctor today, it was exactly as you said! They took a chest x-ray and it showed much improvement so I've been given the all clear! Whew!
Thank you again for all of your help...and for calling me young! (That doesn't happen very much anymore! ha,ha!)

Have a great day!

Wifeandmom
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:10 pm

User avatar Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear all is well. Come back and visit our site anytime. We're here to help.

|