News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Can you change doctors in the same group?

yellowwheel - Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:53 pm

I have very few doctors to choose from. There is a large group with 12 doctors that deal with asthma/allergy. I am unhappy with my current doctor. Would it be a problem if I change doctors with in the same group or do I need to find another practice?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:17 am

User avatar Many group practices allow this because they understand it is important to find a good "fit" and they know that people respond better to someone they can relate to comfortably. Other groups do not allow this kind of change, so the first thing to do is inquire of the staff if changing within the group is acceptable there. Most doctors understand this concept and welcome this flexibility.

Secondly, you could have restrictions inflicted by your health plan. If you have an HMO or a plan that requires a primary care provider, provisions are generally in place to change when things aren't working for you. But, you would need to check with their customer service department to find out for sure.

Other than these two factors, I know of no reason why you shouldn't switch to a doctor you are more comfortable with. The advantage to staying within the group is that you records are already there so it is easy for the new doctor to view the history.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here