Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: restricted breathing

akarleskind - Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:36 pm

49 year old male. Good health overall BP 120/75 pulse 50. Swam and played masters water polo until 42 when i underwent laminectomy(cervical two levels) for herniated disc. Off and on smoker( binge) Trying to get back into swimming, have been off and on since surgery in 12/02 however, recently i notice after smoking on the weekend and getting back in the pool i am not recovering breathing wise. I feel like i have asthma or my breathing is restricted especially when i am really doing streneous sets of swimming. I would have that in the past but after one day my lungs would clear and i would be fine. Now it is three sessions of swimming and i still feel restricted. Is it my age and my past smoking that it is taking longer to recover or have i done permanent damage. Should i give it longer or go get checked
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:04 am

User avatar Hi Akarleskind,

It is hard to say for sure what the cause is. There are several possibilities. Without examining you I am not really able to give you specifics.

I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation. You may also benefit from seeing a lung specialist to have some pulmonary function testing.

akarleskind - Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Thank you , i will do that

andrew

|