Question: acute chest pain

burst - Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi I'm 27, male and a few days ago i woke up with pain and ache from my hip, through my chest into my shoulder on the left hand side. It got worse throughout the day. I could only breathe in a very shallow way, anything else would cause very sharp stabbing pains in the lower portion of my rib cage, and across my chest. coughing or movement made it worse. generally sitting up i was ok, if i maintained shallow breath, but this made me cough, including bright blood. It was almost impossible to lay down so I didn't sleep for a few days. I had no other symptoms other than I got very feint and dizzy if I stood up too fast. Upright, the pain was more in my shoulder, laying down; in my chest. This lasted for about 3 days and nights, I didn't visit a doctor, just rested at home as I didn't feel ill at all, and didn't want to sit in A&E unless it got more serious. I have had 2 prolapsed discs in the past causing sciatica, but that was on my right and altogether different, with no chest pain or shortness of breath. I'm guessing this was a trapped nerve too (hence not seeing a doctor) as I had no fever or other symptoms.
I am curious to know what this may have been caused by, and whether I should go to the hospital.
No other history of this kind of thing from me or my family.

ta
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:29 pm

User avatar Hi TA,

I would recommend you see your doctor about this. It sounds like you had something causing severe irritation of the diaphragm area/lungs and abdomen. A pneumonia is one possibility.

I am a bit concerned about the shortness of breath and coughing blood.

This definitely warrants a full evaluation to make sure something is not going to come back and be worse.

|