Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: tb infection question and smoking question

help_confused - Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Hello i am male 32 years old
i have tb infections because i tested positive on my skin test...negative on chest x-ray

i had taken the medicine for 3 months for 2 capsules a day...and has taken monthly blood test

now is my last month(4th month) of the medications...

and wont go back again to the health center after finishing dosage..

just want to know if i am tb bacteria free after the medications?is the blood test ways of checking the tb bacteria too?

all my blood test said im ok...

but i need to be sure of this thing i don't want to be in this phobia medications again..

question is ther is tiny brown spots or granule in the morning in my sputum..it's not bloody? maybe grayish in granules...getting lesser everyday..for 4 months..

and it all started when i stop smoking...(heavy smoker 1 pack a day)

i have 4 chest x-ray already
and all of it is clear

how long is the dark gray in my sputum will last?
is it part of the withdrawal symptoms?
months? in a year?

1. can tb bacteria can be detected in my monthly blood test? (all blood test result is fine said the nurse)

2. is it normal in quitting smoking to have tiny gray particles in his saliva every morning( getting lesser everyday )

i am healthy all my life and no past surgeries..
i am medium built and not feeling sick and feels good..
no family history of tb sickness..or anything

please just want to know your opinion thanks.....
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:09 pm

User avatar After completing the antibiotic course, your TB will be rendered non-infectious. However, a TB skin test will still show positive. This is why it is important for you to carry a card verifying your completed treatment if you are asked to get another test. Since we already know it will be positive, there is no point in repeating it. Your chest x-ray was negative so that tells us you did not have active TB, but rather, latent infection. It is treated to be sure it doesn't turn into active disease at a later date. You might say this is preventive medicine - you did not actually have TB disease at all, but you were at risk for it if you developed an immune system deficiency, cancer treatment, etc. that might allow the TB bacteria to flare up and cause lung disease.

Your blood tests will not show TB bacteria or lack thereof. You can feel confident that the full course of treatment will take care of the problem. This is why it is important to take all your medication as prescribed.

As for your other question, I don't think the sputum is related to the TB testing and treatment since you did not have active pulmonary TB. Perhaps is is related to your smoking, in which case it is clearing as your lungs are more smoke free.

|