News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: very susceptible to URIs - 3 in past year

clmspartan - Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:53 am

I am a 20 year old female who is seemingly susceptible to upper respiratory infections. I have had three in the past year alone. I am wondering if there are things my doctor could give me, inhaler or any other medication, that could perhaps help to prevent these infections. They tend to be viral but similar to bronchitis. If there is nothing the doctor can provide, then maybe something I can get over the counter, or something like the use of a humidifier , that can help. Thank you very much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:45 pm

User avatar Hi Clmspartan,

This number of upper respiratory infections is still in the range of "normal" infections so I doubt that you have an underlying immune problem making you more susceptible. If, however, you begin to get many (> 10) infections or they are particularly severe/prolonged it may be a good idea to do some simple screening tests to look for an immune problem setting you up for these infections.

There really isn't a medicine to help prevent these infections. The best thing to do is try to keep your body healthy by eating well, getting plenty of sleep, and exercising. Good hand washing habits will also help prevent exposures. You may want to consider taking a multivitamin to help make sure your immune system has all the vitamins/minerals it needs to be at its peak.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here