Question: very susceptible to URIs - 3 in past year

clmspartan - Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:53 am

I am a 20 year old female who is seemingly susceptible to upper respiratory infections. I have had three in the past year alone. I am wondering if there are things my doctor could give me, inhaler or any other medication, that could perhaps help to prevent these infections. They tend to be viral but similar to bronchitis. If there is nothing the doctor can provide, then maybe something I can get over the counter, or something like the use of a humidifier , that can help. Thank you very much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:45 pm

User avatar Hi Clmspartan,

This number of upper respiratory infections is still in the range of "normal" infections so I doubt that you have an underlying immune problem making you more susceptible. If, however, you begin to get many (> 10) infections or they are particularly severe/prolonged it may be a good idea to do some simple screening tests to look for an immune problem setting you up for these infections.

There really isn't a medicine to help prevent these infections. The best thing to do is try to keep your body healthy by eating well, getting plenty of sleep, and exercising. Good hand washing habits will also help prevent exposures. You may want to consider taking a multivitamin to help make sure your immune system has all the vitamins/minerals it needs to be at its peak.

|