Forum Name: Asthma

Question: 2 year old - Is this Asthama?

ma_girl - Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:24 am

Hello All,

My son when he was 1 and half year old started having coughing issues. The Pediatrician initially told us to give cough medicine. They later asked us to give Albeturol(Nebulizer). When we gave nebulizer, he was OK. Then again(when we stopped) he would cough(as if something is stuck in his chest).

We went to a pulmonary specialist and he could NOT find anything. The Pediatrician asked us to give Singulair(4 mg powder) a try for a month and see how he does. We gave him Singular every day in his food and he did NOT cough for a month. After a month, when we stopped, around after 4-5 days he started coughing again(This was during summer, so I think there would be no allergies/flu/cold season). We again started Singulair and he is doing fine

Also, when we were NOT giving Singulair or Albeterol(and were NOT sure about Asthama), giving him bath before he slept was a good option(he did NOT cough those days). We live in an apartment and have carpet(so may be due to that we have an issue)

Last month when we went on a vacation with Singulair in his regular medicine, he had some issues with coughing after catching cold (This may be due to he riding a horse, being in water for long and getting a little cold or could be dust mites in the place we were). We had to give Pulmocort and Albeterol and that helped

When we ask the doctor, he says It MIGHT be Asthama... I don't understand why he would say It MIGHT be?? Can he NOT say it is or it isn't?

I know, you guys would NOT say for sure.. but has anyone seen similar behaviour of their child's asthama like this. He was fine until he was 1 and half years.. so I am NOT sure if it is Asthama(although - seeing that Singulair helps, it seems it is)

Will he have to take medicine all his life? I do NOT want to give medicine to my child forever and would also like to know alternative medicine (if any).

Thoughts?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:42 am

User avatar There is a condition called "hidden asthma" that can be difficult even for a physician to detect with an examination and stethoscope. You didn't mention what kind of tests the pulmonologist did for your son. It is possible that more extensive testing might reveal this condition.

Allergies can trigger asthma so he may be dealing with this (perhaps to some of the things you suggested) and you might also benefit from a consultation with an allergist. If you get the allergies under control, the asthmatic symptoms may not occur as often at least. If you identify the substances your son is sensitive to, you can do much to reduce the exposure, thus reducing the asthma attacks.

Asthma cannot be cured but it can be controlled and your son may need lifelong medications, at least he may need to have them available when needed, which is not to say he would have to have them every day by any means. There is a wide array of medications used to treat this condition so your doctor will need to work with you to achieve the safest medication at the lowest dose possible that is still effective in controlling the asthma. I cannot say what will work best for your child but it sounds like you are on the right track with the success you have achieved so far. Singulair is not intended for immediate relief during an asthma attack so the alternative inhalers are also important. It does appear to be a safe treatment for children.

Good luck. I think you are a very responsible and alert parent who will be able to help your child to stay healthy.

|