Question: Severe chest pain which worsens when lying down, fever

30yrsUnDxd - Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:32 am

I had sudden symptoms which occurred yesterday morning. I awakened with severe chest pain, mostly centered over left side of chest and radiating into my jaw and neck. The night before these symptoms appeared I had some right-sided chest pain along my sternum. Chest pain worsens upon breathing in.

When I had the severe chest pains I took 81 mg baby aspirin just in case it was a heart attack.

I tried to lie back down again and found the pain worsened upon lying down. Basically the only comfortable position is sitting or sitting up slightly forward or standing and leaning over slightly.

I called 911 and was taken to the ED. Rule out diagnoses where done but no conclusions drawn. No pericarditis, no pulmonary embolism, no pneumothorax. In the ED I had a fast pulse, 78 (normally 60 while sitting up) and no fever. The ED doctor wasn't concerned over my pulse because he said it's normal to have a faster pulse in the ED. For me, it's not and 78 is high.

After getting back home I developed a fever, 100.6. Chest pain continues and sleeping is difficult due to pain upon lying down. My heart rate went up to 80's at home.

54, female, Hashimoto's, Hypertension (mostly controlled), Cholesectomy 1997, CAD ruled out 8/16/2007; Synthroid, Percocet for chest pain, Cytomel (T3), Triamterene/HCTZ, Vitamins.
 30yrsUnDxd - Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:05 am

The next day, September 27 at around 4:30 PM I went to the ED again. This time my husband drove me. I was admitted to the CCU with pericarditis, a pericardial effusion, and atrial fibrillation.

I had to go back to the ED twice to get a full diagnosis. And I had to be admitted to the CCU twice.

I have pericardits, pericardial effusion, mild myocarditis, and atrial fib. It's been over a month since I was first diagnosed and I am finally feeling a little better.

I found some excellent websites which helped me understand why it is difficult to diagnose pericarditis. There is no protocol for diagnosis or treatment in the US. There is in Europe. I am on the treatment protocol recommended by European Cardiologists.

|