Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Is this asthma?

nighthawk5556 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:37 am

I am 31 years old, male, have only been diagnosed with "infections" in the past, had pneumonia at 12 to the point I had to stay at hospital for like 2 weeks, have only had surgery to remove wisdom teeth, have had grandparents die of cancer and Mom has asthma. I am currently taking Singulair for allergies, two inhalers (QVar...I think and another one), an NSAID and a muscle relaxer.

I've been healthy most of my life and never went to a Dr or clinic. Started a new job working outside, and crazy stuff has happened since. I soon developed nosebleeds during the summer that usually followed blowing my nose, and they never seemed to want to stop or slow down.(only from one nostril at a time, usually my right one).

I developed sciatica and suffered with the pain down the back of my left leg for a long time before I finally went to the clinic (my insurance isn't so good). They prescribed pain meds (which I only took maybe 3 or 4 of) and steroids. It finally went away.

This year, starting soon after the sciatica was over, I started getting cramps in my back from twisting to get tools from my toolbelt. Felt like a charlie horse. Started out not so bad.....a little stretching and rubbing and it was gone. NOW, I get those 'catches' in my back, but they pale in comparison to the new ones I get just inside the bottom of my rib cage. They get INTENSE at times. Stretching does nothing, but bending over forward seems to releive it some. Lately they've been coming a lot.

Sorry so long............I went to a clinic like 2 weeks ago because of a bad night-cough that was keeping my wife awake and waking me up at crazy hours. The Doc listened to my chest and said I have asthma (which I don't think I do......but he's the doc). He prescribed inhalers, singulair, etc...........but I still get the cough.

My rib pains were there before the cough. I went to the clinic the other day because my ribs would 'catch' so bad while working (usually on right side). A different doc prescribed muscle relaxer to take at night, and NSAID to take during day. I've been using everything as told to, but I STILL get these charlie horses in my ribs and back (usually from twisting a certain way). Also, when I wake in the morning after sleeping off the muscle relaxer, I'm sore and weak all over until I move around for a while.

I just wonder why the pains? Would asthma do this? I drink plenty of water because I work regardless of weather, and it seems to peak in Summer, but I'm desperately trying to find someone with the same pain as I have. ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:47 pm

User avatar Hi Nighthawk5556,

Asthma can certainly cause a severe cough, particularly at nighttime.

It would be a little unusual for it to suddenly present at age 31 but not impossible.

I would be somewhat suspicious that you may have an infection called an atypical pneumonia. This can cause some inflammation of the lungs and the lining of the lungs (termed pleurisy). Pleurisy can cause the catching feeling you are experiencing.

Treatment for this pneumonia is generally with an antibiotic called azithromycin.

If your cough is not getting better I would recommend you see your doctor again.

|