Question: Lump below my sturnum

mvannote - Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:42 pm

I am a 40 year old male with no previous surgerys or major health problems other that being over weight. I am 6'1" and weigh around 240.
I noticed a few weeks ago that when I'm laying on my back and go to sit up, like i'm doing a crunch, I get a lump that protrudes just below my sternum. It raises about 1" or more from my stomach and is about 4 to 5 inches long. It only happens when I raise my head to get up.
I have been told that it might have something to do with the powerlifting i used to do several years ago.
I apoligize if i'm in the wrong area or if this has been asked before. Just didn't know where to start.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:17 pm

User avatar I can't say this is it for sure but it sounds like a protuberance of the xiphoid process of the sternum. This is a normal anatomical finding. Sometimes the end of the sternum pokes out a bit, making a hard, bony lump noticeable, especially when lying on your back. If this is the case, it has nothing to do with your exercise activities. I am assuming it is not painful.

If you need to know for sure, you should have it examined at your next appointment with your doctor, along with having your cholesterol checked, etc.
 mvannote - Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Thanks Debbie,

I called and talked with both a nurse and a doctor today and they do want me to get it checked out by a doctor but think that I have a hernia. They think I have tore the lining located below my sternum and that I might need surgery to get it fixed/patched.
I am scheduling a doctors visit soon and will post the findings at that time.

|