Forum Name: Asthma

Question: does this sound like asthma...or something else?

nesha - Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:47 pm

I am wondering if the symptoms I am experiencing could be asthma or something else? Im a 22yo healthy female and have experienced a tight feeling when breathing out several times in the past--mostly with cold weather. Last fall, i began experiencing this tightness more often even when it was not cold out and my dr gave me albuterol and said it was bronchospasms probably due to some allergies although the diagnosis of allergies has not been confirmed. Since last year have gone through 2-3 periods of a few weeks where I will have this tightness several times a day and I have been using albuterol to help that. When the last episode began a few days ago, he told me to come in so he could hear me breathe but when I went it, he said that I am not wheezing at all so he cant say that it is asthma. He just put me on a steriod inhaler to try to decrease daily episodes of needing albuterol. For the past few months I have also been experiencing post nasal drip with tons of mucus in my throat (which I notice especially with eating). Does this all sound like asthma, even if I don't have wheezing at all?

Thanks for your response!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:41 pm

User avatar Hi Nesha,

This certainly could be consistent with asthma. If the shortness of breath is severe sometimes no wheezing is heard because not enough air is moving through the lungs. Otherwise, it is nice to be able to hear wheezing when diagnosing asthma.

If the albuterol helps then you almost certainly have at least a component of bronchospasm which is the hallmark of asthma.

I would recommend you follow up with your doctor when you feel these tightness episodes occuring so you can be evaluated. Using the inhaled steroid is a good idea as it is a central treatment for asthma.

|