News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: does this sound like asthma...or something else?

nesha - Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:47 pm

I am wondering if the symptoms I am experiencing could be asthma or something else? Im a 22yo healthy female and have experienced a tight feeling when breathing out several times in the past--mostly with cold weather. Last fall, i began experiencing this tightness more often even when it was not cold out and my dr gave me albuterol and said it was bronchospasms probably due to some allergies although the diagnosis of allergies has not been confirmed. Since last year have gone through 2-3 periods of a few weeks where I will have this tightness several times a day and I have been using albuterol to help that. When the last episode began a few days ago, he told me to come in so he could hear me breathe but when I went it, he said that I am not wheezing at all so he cant say that it is asthma. He just put me on a steriod inhaler to try to decrease daily episodes of needing albuterol. For the past few months I have also been experiencing post nasal drip with tons of mucus in my throat (which I notice especially with eating). Does this all sound like asthma, even if I don't have wheezing at all?

Thanks for your response!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:41 pm

User avatar Hi Nesha,

This certainly could be consistent with asthma. If the shortness of breath is severe sometimes no wheezing is heard because not enough air is moving through the lungs. Otherwise, it is nice to be able to hear wheezing when diagnosing asthma.

If the albuterol helps then you almost certainly have at least a component of bronchospasm which is the hallmark of asthma.

I would recommend you follow up with your doctor when you feel these tightness episodes occuring so you can be evaluated. Using the inhaled steroid is a good idea as it is a central treatment for asthma.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here