News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Lifelong Phlegmy Cough

mplovesap - Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:56 am

Hello I am a 29 year old female. I am not on any medications. I have mild Scoliosis, lumbar Spondolisis, and PCOS.

I have always had a phlegmy cough. As a baby they said it was croup. As a child and teen years Dr's argued whether I had asthma, bronchitis, or neither. The Dr's always say my lungs sound fine and x-rays come out fine.

I always have this cough. It does not get better or worse during any part of the day. It always the same. I have a hard time coughing it up because I cant get it high enough. So Im usually have this gross cough or sound like I’m clearing my throat all the time. Sometimes I'll go into a coughing fit and finally throw up alot of phlegm, sometime with streaks of blood. Then I’m better for a few hours, maybe.

When I was younger the Dr's tried inhalers, rescue and steroid. This didn’t change anything. I’ve tried Allergy meds. This hasn’t changed anything.

Am I doomed to have this disgusting cough my whole life? What is wrong with me?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 pm

User avatar Hi Mplovesap,

A sometimes overlooked cause of a chronic cough is gastroesophageal reflux. Occasionally a chronic cough is the only symptom and there is no classic burning pain of esophageal irritation.

You may want to talk with your doctor about trying a reflux medicine for a little while to see if it helps. If it does not I would recommend you see a pulmonologist for further evaluation. You may need a bronchoscopy (where they use a small camera to look at your airways) to help figure this out.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here