News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: pain on right side under rib

Katchen - Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:54 pm

im scared that its liver disease or hepatitis or something

for the past few weeks, there has been a pain under my rib cage with slight tenderness, the pain though because of the nerves shoots up trough my neck and i cant laugh, sneeze, yawn or breath deeply without some discomfort to severe esp. when i sneeze. i saw the doctor and my lungs are fine, they thought i might have pulled a muscle, but the pain is bad for a few days then sometimes goes away. i got blood drawn but I haven’t heard any problems with it. it is only on my right side and today it seems like its farther down right below my rib. Its painful in some positions when I lay or sit. I really want to know what this is and when it will go away sometimes its so bad that I cry. Not recently, thank god. I’ve tried upping fiber, getting rest, not doing strenuous activities, its kind of hard being a college student with a backpack. I’m wondering if its my liver or appendix its to far front to be my kidney and to far to the side to seem to be my gallbladder. I’m hoping it’s a strained muscle I just don’t know when its going to heal, it came so suddenly like a gas pain in my side but its not, and it just developed in one day from feeling fine, we drove for 8 hrs that day for a camping trip.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:51 pm

User avatar Dear Katchen,

Your symptoms imply that you might have a spine problem which may be in the lower neck or upper back.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 sandrasheppard - Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi,
I need some help.I have been to my doctor and also to out patient.I have had blood work done for my liver and bladder.I never got the results back,so I must be fine.
The reason I have had it done is I get this pain in the upper part of my stomach under the right rib cage.It feels like there is something under there and that if I postion my self right it stops.I am also getting fluttering in my abdomen,it actually looks like a baby kicking.
I am in pain almost half of the day,with ibupophin dulling it.
Is there any idea what it may be?I cant stand it anymore.
Other symptoms include nausia,diarreha,fluid build up.Sometimes my blood pressure will go up to 170/107.
my doctor says that I am alright and not to worry,but should someone have constant pain?
Sandra D Sheppard
 ByronGore - Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:37 pm

As from about 12 hours ago I have had a sharp pain in the left had side of my chest near the bottom of my ribcage. It feels like trapped air and hurts when i breath in deep. I have a nasty cough and have done for sum days now. A few years back I had symptoms very much like this but on the right hand side. I ended up losing 7 pints or so of blood due to a burst lung. So im sitting here in 2 minds about phoning the doctor. But the likely hood of it happening again but to the other lung seems pretty remote to me. If it;s not a burt lung what else do you think it could be? Im gonna give this another 2 hours or so and if the pain persists im gonna give the doctor a ring. any sugestions would be great:)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here