News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: coughs

emrehan_01 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:58 am

im 20 year old female and i think i may have whooping cough, i went on holiday to turkey and came back with a severve cough, i had a cold and was vomiting when i had a coughing episode, i was also 25 weeks pregnant at the time, my doctor wouldnt give me anything for the cough and didnt know what is was, but i went back to the doctors a week later and requested some antibiotics as it was getting hard to cope with and i couldnt sleep at night for coughing and being sick, she gave me a weeks supply and it calmed down after that, im now 38 weeks pregnant the cough has almost gone, but is still annoying me, im just worried about my unborn child and would like to know if my baby will have been affected by this?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:45 pm

User avatar Hi Emrehan_01,

I would recommend you be tested for pertussis (whooping cough). If it is pertussis you should be treated with azithromycin at the full 500mg per day for 5 days. This is a little different than typical dosing for this medication. Your doctor will likely know this but it can be overlooked.

There is no risk to your baby if you have whooping cough while you are pregnant. The risk comes after delivery. It would then be possible for the baby to catch whooping cough from you. Whooping cough in newborns can be very dangerous.

Treatment of whooping cough does not change the course for the person infected. The cough will still last several months. The other name for this disease is the 100 days cough. Treatment does make it no longer contageous though.

Also, azithromycin is safe to take during pregnancy.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here