News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Sharp Pain in Upper Breasts, Extending Under Armpit

amsaver - Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:29 pm

I am a 34 y/o female, that until this past month has been healthy. I have a sharp pain in my upper breast (primarily left, but sometimes on the right), which extends under my armpit (this has been ongoing for the past 4 weeks). Pain is felt upon touching the area and seems exacerbated by deep breathing. Original diagnosis was pleurisy, but I'm uncertain this is accurate, based on pain to the touch. Pain radiates to back clavicles. Sometimes feels like a cold draft is in my breast. I tested positive for Influenza last week (though I've been sick for 4 weeks). 2 chest x-rays have come back clean. EKG and Echo are fine. No pericardis. I finished my first dose of Clomid at time pain started. Quality of pain has changed over 4 weeks (started as sharp and shooting and has become more dull). Ibuprofen does not work (only vicodin and I don't want to become addicted). Surgeries: Leep/cone biopsy; C-Section (4 years ago). Meds: Only IB (began fish oil and magnesium when this began). Family history of coronary artery disease (I had calcium scoring done last year and I'm completely clean). Thanks in advance for any help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:18 pm

User avatar Hello there,

Its good to hear that all your tests came back positive. Chest pain that increases on deep inspiration may be pleuritic, due to pericarditis or due to neuromuscular causes in the chest wall. This could be pain originating from a nerve in the chest wall (intercostal) or a muscle in the chest. It could also be bony pain from the ribs but most conditions affecting the ribs would have been caught on radiology.

Neuromuscular pain is characteristically tender and may also be positional (meaning it can be affected by a change in position).

Have you discussed this possibility with your doctor. Unfortunately, there usually isn't much to do for this type of pain except treat with analgesics, anti inflammatory drugs and wait until it resolves by itself. The change in character of the pain from sharp to dull may be an indication that its getting better.

Please keep us updated and I hope you are already feeling better!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here