News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Pain on Right Side of Chest

shashi1 - Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Hi ,
I am 33 year old male. I am having occasional pain on the right side of my chest from last 2 years.
The pain is normally felt when I sneeze or stretch.
When I strecth my hand their is sometimes a click sound in the right chest like the one of strecthing the muscles in morning.
I had observed that the pain is related with phlegm which is normally clear or greyish.
When I have more phlegm I have more pain.

Also I feel uncomfortable in my lower part of chest if I take a cold glass of orange or mango juice or any cold drink.This persists for around 10-15 min and then I am normal.

When visited doctor I had an xray and ECG but both were normal and doctor prescribed for muscular pain.

Any advice or directions will be helpfull.
Thanks in advance
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:30 pm

User avatar Hi Shashi1,

The pain you are describing may be related to inflammation of the rib cartilage, known as costochondritis. This is a relatively common condition. The pain can often be reproduced by putting pressure on the area where the pain occurs.

It may also be related to a condition called pleurisy. This is inflammation of the lining of the lungs/chest wall. This pain is usually worse with deep breathing because the inflamed area of the lining is rubbed on the chest wall.

Some inflamed muscles of the rib cage may also be at fault. These can become injured by turning or twisting wrong. Subsequently they take a long time to heal because they are constantly being used due to breathing and moving.

Another, less likely, possibility is reflux. This pain is generally more in the center of the chest.

All of these, with the exception of reflux, are treated by anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen.

If your pain continues I would recommend you follow up with your doctor.

Best wishes.
 shashi1 - Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for the reply
can the following condition also be explained by similar reasoning

"Also I feel uncomfortable in my lower part of chest if I take a cold glass of orange or mango juice or any cold drink. This persists for around 10-15 min and then its again normal. "

Thanks again.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here