Question: Phlegm in chest for months

RGasparich - Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:41 pm

I am 19 years old. For the past few years I have phlegm in my throat for months at a time. It gets better when I cut dairy out of my diet but its still there and seems to get worse over time. It usually starts in December and lasts through February then starts again around March and lasts through May. Is there anything I can do to make the phlegm go away? The cough that comes along with trying to get the phlegm out is very painful as well. The actual color of the phlegm varies from yellow to green...

Please help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:38 am

User avatar Hi RGasparich,

Your symptoms may be due to allergies. You can try using one of the over-the-counter allergy medicines to see if this helps. It may take a few days to notice much of a difference.

If this doesn't help I would recommend you see a GI specialist. There may be more foods that are causing allergies or other issues like lactose intolerance causing your symptoms.

|