Forum Name: Asthma

Question: DO YOU THINK MY CHILD HAS ASTHMA?

kamkam2006 - Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:48 pm

MY LITTLE GIRL IS ALMOST 21 MONTHS AS A BABY SHE HAD INFANT ACNE, LATER HAD EXCEMA, AND HAD REFLUX. WE HAVE BEEN IN AND OUT OF THE DOCTORS OFFICES FOR EITHER HER EARS OR UPPER RESPITORY INFECTIONS. SHE HAS RECENTLY HAD TUBES TO FIX THE EAR PROBLEM. ALSO RECENTLY BIT BY FIRE ANT AND DIAGANOSED ALLERGIC TO ANTS, AND WE HAVE TO TAKE THE EPI-PEN EVERYWHERE... FOR 3 WEEKS NOW SHE HAS HAD A HORRIBLE COUGH. TOOK HER TO THE PEDIO 2 WEEKS AGO AND SHE SAID SHE HAD BRONCHITIS AND GAVE HER THE Z-PACK FOR KIDS CAN'T THINK OF THE NAME. WELL SHE'S NOT GETTING ANY BETTER. I AM TAKING HER WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS BACK. I WANT TO KNOW SINCE MY UNCLE, MY HUSBANDS GRANDMA AND BROTHER ALL HAVE ASTHMA AND WITH THE PREVIOUS PROBLEMS SHE'S HAD IF THIS MAY BE THE CAUSE OF HER PROBLEMS????
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:36 am

User avatar Hi Kamkam2006,

It is very possible that your daughter has asthma. Often, young children are diagnosed with bronchitis due to wheezing and treated with azithromycin (the z-pack). This antibiotic is aimed at a bug called mycoplasma.

It is actually very uncommon for children to get classic bronchitis. There are several reasons for this, in particular it is uncommon for children under the age of five to be infected with mycoplasma. Most of the time it is actually an early presentation of asthma.

Many doctors, however, are reluctant to diagnose asthma based on one or two episodes of wheezing since it may be caused by a viral infection. If a pattern of wheezing is seen it is much easier to say confidently the issue is asthma.

Follow up with your doctor is important to help sort all this out.

kamkam2006 - Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:50 pm

well I took my daughter to the doctor yesterday. She ran a blood test to rule out infection or bacteria, and of course my suspensions were correct, they couldn't find anything. If she had bronchitis wouldn't something show up??? Well anyway she gave her an allergy prescription and low and behold she slept all night no coughing or anything.... They also made me an appt. with and allergist so ...
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:04 am

User avatar Commonly nothing shows up on blood work looking for infections. Partially this is because many of these infections are due to viruses that don't have specific tests for them.

Also, as I have previously mentioned some pediatricians, including myself, don't believe that children get bronchitis like adults do. Almost always, the "bronchitis" is actually asthma that is being misdiagnosed.

Asthma and allergies are in the same category of disease. It is thought that asthma is, at least partially, caused by an allergic reaction in the lungs. This category of illness is called atopic illnesses and includes asthma, allergies and eczema. Seeing the allergist will be helpful to optimize the treatment for her allergies.

Best wishes. I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing a little better.

|