Question: Chest/back pains

Mantle - Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:24 pm

I have had a pain at the back of my chest for over a month now. It only hurts when I take a deep breath. I have since been to two doctors, the first thought it was the result of a viral infection and needed anti-biotics which did not work and another doctor then sent me for a chest x-ray. The x-ray came back fine. He has since advised me to go for an asthma test and CT scan of the chest/lungs. I have not been for these yet.

The pain seems to have affected my back now, and I am now finding it uncomfotatble to sit etc. Im fine when im standing up straight or laying down. My ribs however do kind of feel bruised alot but are not sore to touch. If I go for a run my breathing is not hampered in any way and my lungs/rib cage feel fine, however the following days I feel bruised underneath my rib cage and sometimes on my sternum.

Just after what steps I should possibly take, whether I have pulled a muscle in my back or possibly something more serious.

Thanks for your time

I am 24 years old, male, no past surgeries, and no family history. I am not on any current medication either.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:03 pm

User avatar Hi there,

Chest pain is usually tricky especially if examination and investigations do not reveal anything. Generally speaking, chest pain that appears to be aggravated by deep inspiration is either pleuritic (due to inflammation of the pleura which is the layer that lines the inside of the chest wall and covers the lungs) or due to a neuromuscular problem in the chest wall. The chest wall is mainly made up of nerve, muscle, and ribs (bone). Neuromuscular chest pain can also be tender as well as positional (more in certain positions than in others).

If there's no fever, no shortness of breath, cough etc. I would say its very likely that it is neuromuscular. Obviously, this is something that only your doctor can decide by direct examination. If your doctor excludes anything serious, he may or may not decide that its safe to put you on analgesics until the inflammation subsides.

|