News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Swollen Sternum from fall

smjann1 - Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:17 pm

I am female, 37 years old, in good health. 5 weeks ago, I fell out of a bath tub. I had a good amount of pain in my shoulders and chest. I had x-rays done which did not show any fractures or breaks. However, my sternum has been extremely swollen the entire time. My doctor prescribed anti-inflammatories and said the musculature and ligaments had been traumatized and should heal. After 5 weeks, although the pain has eased, my sternum is still swollen to the point that it looks like the size of an orange on my chest. Is it normal that it should still be this swollen? There has been no improvement in the swelling after 2-3 weeks of anti-inflammatories, and ice treatment. If anything, the swelling has increased. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:25 pm

User avatar Hi Smjann1,

I'd recommend you see your doctor about this again. It may still be simply healing from a very bad injury. It may also be that there was a fracture there that was not seen initially on x-rays. Occasionally, fractures that do not move the bone any may not show up on the initial x-rays. They subsequently become visible as a bone callous forms for healing (which subsequently goes away after weeks or months).

Having your doctor reevaluate this will be sure that everything is still healing well.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here