News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Burning pain in my upper chest and my back.

jjnlcarter4 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:24 pm

I'm a 28 year old female. For the past 4 days I have been having this intermitten burning chest pain that causes my upper back in the center between my shoulder blades to hurt. I am a overweight and have high cholesterol. The one thing that I have noticed is that I have been very belchy. I think it might be acid reflux but I have taken zantac and that has not helped it. I also tried pepto bismo and that has not helped. Today and seems like I have had the pain all day. Please help me with what this might be. I have no insurance and don't want to go to the hospital unless I have to.
Thanks!
Very Worried
 Sandy Tracy RN - Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 am

User avatar Hi jjnlcarter4,

Thanks for writing in.

Your symptoms could be consistent with gallstones. The gallbladder is located on the right side by your ribcage. Sometimes the pain can radiate into the chest or back. Nausea and belching can be a symptom of gallbladder disease.

Gallstones are very common in people who are overweight and female. The attacks usually occur after eating a high fat meal. If the pain continues I encourage you to have it checked out. An ultrasound is usually done to check for stones, as well as lab work. If a stone is passed by the pancreatic duct, this can cause pancreatitis.

Please keep me informed and good luck.
Sandy RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here