Question: Mucus leads me to coughing and gaging

Ritz - Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Im a 29yr male. This has been going on since I was 17. I smoked from 16-22. don't smoke anymore.

When I go out in the winter and the cold air hits me I gag a litttle, feels like I cant swallow. Like something is chocking me. My mucus gets thick and I start coughing. Its not very bad on a normal cold day, to where I wouldnt go out side. I'm active in the winter with outdoor sports. When I am out working up a heavy sweat and begen to cool back down the cough and mucus get very vilent. I cant catch my breath, and cough to the point of a nose bleed sometimes.

The only thing that I have found that helps when I go onto one of my attacks is to blow my nose.

For some reason anxiety causes it to kick up also.

My Father has the same symptoms. He has been to Doctors for other issues and talked to them a little about it, but didnt get any real awnser. I don't think he has gone to see someone about this.

Thanks for any help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:46 am

User avatar If I were you I would see a doctor to rule out asthma. You may also get some temporary relief with the addition of humidity. You should be able to get answers to this problem but it will require a visit with a doctor (family practice, pulmonologist, internist, etc.).

|