News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Mucus leads me to coughing and gaging

Ritz - Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Im a 29yr male. This has been going on since I was 17. I smoked from 16-22. don't smoke anymore.

When I go out in the winter and the cold air hits me I gag a litttle, feels like I cant swallow. Like something is chocking me. My mucus gets thick and I start coughing. Its not very bad on a normal cold day, to where I wouldnt go out side. I'm active in the winter with outdoor sports. When I am out working up a heavy sweat and begen to cool back down the cough and mucus get very vilent. I cant catch my breath, and cough to the point of a nose bleed sometimes.

The only thing that I have found that helps when I go onto one of my attacks is to blow my nose.

For some reason anxiety causes it to kick up also.

My Father has the same symptoms. He has been to Doctors for other issues and talked to them a little about it, but didnt get any real awnser. I don't think he has gone to see someone about this.

Thanks for any help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:46 am

User avatar If I were you I would see a doctor to rule out asthma. You may also get some temporary relief with the addition of humidity. You should be able to get answers to this problem but it will require a visit with a doctor (family practice, pulmonologist, internist, etc.).

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here