News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest Pain, right side

KristenNicole - Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:20 pm

22 yr old female. I've been having mostly sharp chest pain on the right side of my sternum for a little over a week. It comes every time I eat, a few minutes after i start eating, but also at other random times throughout the day. The past few days, it's been there when I woke up as well. Occasionally, it will feel like a lot of pressure on my chest and I will have trouble breathing, but it's mostly just sharp pains in one spot. It lasts anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes at a time. I would appreciate any advice, thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:37 pm

User avatar Hi KristenNicole,

There are a few possibilities. Your pain may be due to a condition called pleurisy. Pleurisy is inflammation of the lining of the lungs and chest wall. Typically, this pain is fairly precisely located and occurs in the same area (since the inflammation doesn't really move around). It often is worsened by deep breathing. Eating would not necessarily be expected to change this pain or make it worse.

The other possibility is reflux. Eating often can make reflux much worse. You may want to try using an antacid to see if this helps some.

If your pain doesn't improve or gets worse I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here