Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Possible infection, maybe cancer (CT Scans in post)

niffer_marie - Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 pm

I'm a pretty healthy 22 year old female. My past history has been pretty clean, besides my cholesteatoma as a child, but that seems irrelevant. I started coughing about 9 months ago and it has worsened throughout time, including hemoptysis which started 6 months ago.

I saw a doctor about 3 months into the coughing and was handed off to Washington County DHS, because they thought I had TB. After 2 skin tests and a sputum test, I was dismissed to figure it out on my own.

After finding a new doctor, she performed a CXR and diagnosed me with pneumonia. Round one of the Zithromax worked for about a week and round two didn't seem to do much. She ordered another CXR and a nodule was found, then the CT scan to further investigate. And this is what was found:
Image
Image
Image

I have an appointment with a pulmonologist on Monday, but was hoping maybe a little info before then. My doctor said she called an oncologist, but he thinks it's a bacterial infection more so than cancer. I seem to be easily dismissed because of my age. I was also wondering I could get a bacterial infection from a salt water fish tank, because it seemed to have all started when my fiance got the tank.

So my symptoms are:
Coughing
Hemoptysis (Bright red blood and sometimes clots)
Easily fatigued
Insomnia
Shortness of breath
Rapid heartbeat (probably due to lack of oxygen)

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be specific.

Thank you, Jennifer
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:45 pm

User avatar Hi Jennifer,

Cancer is a possibility; however, there are other possibilities as well, including infections such as fungal infections.

You may need to have a small biopsy of the mass done to find out for sure what the cause of this is.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

niffer_marie - Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:55 pm

So, I thought I would stop in and let you know my diagnosis. After being admitted to the hospital for the "missing" marrow in my spine, not found on this slide of the CT, but others. I had a needle biopsy of the spine and it still came back negative for anything. After that, I got my first thoracotomy, which came back positive for Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

I was staged 4B Nodular Sclerosing Hodgkin's Lymphoma in January and started ABVD a week later. I had a PET scan in April and it came back with a couple spots in the spine, but was gone from my lung and pelvis. I'm due for another PET in a week, so hopefully, August will be the end of treatment. So in total, 8 cycles of ABVD with no radiation.

I know you guys get a lot of questions on here without follow-up, so I thought I'd fill you in. :)

Keep on doing what you guys do best! <3

|