Question: Chest discomfort, throat tightness

nogoals4u - Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:24 pm

I'm a 31 year old male and have been to the doctors a few times over the past two months. I have generalized chest pain, a cough producing mostly clear flem, nasal congestion and mild headaches. At first I was diagnosed with an upper-respiratory infection. The medicines given for that were ineffective, so I went to a different doctor and was diagnosed with lower acute sinusitis, I think. I was put on a dose of amoxicillin, which I still am on today, and prometh codeine syrup which I had to stop because of the side effects. I went back to the doctor after 1.5 weeks because of 1) stopping the prometh and 2) I now had tightness in my throat. A chest-xray and blood tests turned up negative. I was also given albuterol (and am still on), which I noticed was used to treat asthma. After a get together with a number of my friends this weekend, two of them were undergoing similar treatments and had similar symptoms. Their doctors seemed to think it was the onset of seasonal asthma. My generalized chest pain goes away when taking tylenol or other pain killers and when it does come on, I can usually put my finger on the area and it feels like bruising. I also talked with the doctor about panic attacks but I couldn't figure out any pattern to when these symptoms occured, although lately I have noticed it is usually occurring when I change environments (different rooms, outside to inside, etc.). The cough has been reduced to maybe two or less episodes a day and the same with the nasal congestion. I'm mostly left with the lessening chest pain (front and sides) and throat tightness. I have also begun getting what feels like pressure on the front of the chin. I guess I'm looking to see if my doctor has prescribed the right tests and gone down a reasonable path or if there are other tests I should request of him or if it is worth getting a third opinion. Thanks and happy holidays!
 nogoals4u - Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 am

I just wanted to update this thread since I went to the doctors at the end of last week. The albuterol seemed to work for my throat tightness however I still had what felt like pressure in my chest. I noticed tums or other antacids seemed to lessen it. The doctor performed a physical exam of my chest and abdomen, pressing on various areas. His ultimate diagnosis for the lingering chest discomfort was muscular and I've been told to take Tylenol, 3x day.

|