Forum Name: Asthma

Question: 2 month old baby vomiting a lot

Mamaof3 - Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:19 pm

My son was born on 9-11 of this year and he was so healthy until he was about 2 months. One day he started vomiting a lot and I knew it was more than just a stomach virus. I took him to the er and they diagnosed him with vomiting and didn't do anything. Well he kept doing it and I decided I would take him to the hospital in another town. Well he was diagnosed him with pneumonia and they gave him a shot of an antibiotic and he went home. Well a couple of weeks later I took him back to the hospital for the same symptoms and they diagnosed with bronchitis and put him on antibiotics. A few days later I took him to his pediatrician and they tested him for rsv but he wasn't too severe. The next day I went back because he was getting worse so they put him on breathing treatments. Well he kept going back to the dr to make sure he was getting better and he was and the dr told me when to take him off the treatment. Well about a day after I took him off the treatments he started getting worse. So I put him back on the treatments and he finally got better after a few days. I took him off the treatments again to see what would happen and today he starts acting really bad again. I can tell he is having trouble breathing even though he has been put back on treatments. I was just wondering if you thought maybe this was actually asthma. I am just so concerned about him and I don't know what to do. I just want my baby to be healthy and for the past month and a half he has been so sick. I don't even take him out of the house unless it is absolutely necessary. I'm so worried that he will be hospitalized so please give me any info you can. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:53 am

Of course it is understandable that you are worried about your baby. The fact that he responds to the breathing treatments would suggest the possibility of asthma. I would encourage you to talk to your pediatrician about this. In the meantime keep notes to share with the doctor regarding his behavior, what was going on when the attack occurred, any possible environmental triggers, if he had cold symptoms, fever, etc. Your doctor should be able to evaluate him for this so express your concern as you have here, specifically telling the doctor you would like to find out if the baby might have asthma.

Best wishes

|