Question: Green then bloody phlegm

FLU07 - Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:19 pm

I live in Michigan and I know its flu season (late December). I am 40 years old and wake up with a huge knot in my throat. I hack up a very green phelgm wad and then usually the next few are clear but with specs of blood. Then, throughout the day I have been monitoring the color and it is perfectly clear. However, when I shower (usually very steamy) I have the last few days hacked up very bloody phelgm with NO green.. I seem to remember this same scenario last winter and it cleared itself up, but since turning 40, I am growing alot more sensitive to how my body reacts and what it is telling me...
What is THIS telling me??

Thank you in advance...
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:30 am

Productive cough that is accompanied by greenish sputum is usually due to bacterial infections. It can normally be associated with blood which results from the normal inflammatory process that results from the infection as well as trauma from the severe cough.

You should inform your doctor as you may need to take antibiotics and an examination would also confirm that there is nothing there that's more serious.

Good luck and best wishes!
 FLU07 - Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:38 am

awesome response!

thank you for your reply to my concern.

Best wishes for a safe, healthy and prosperous 08!

|