News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Sharp pain in chest, especially when taking deep breaths

mattpd - Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:03 am

I am a 22 year old male that is experiencing chest discomfort. This has been a problem since my childhood. Every once in a while I will notice a dull pain in my upper chest and it occurs on both sides. As long as I am taking shallow breaths I can barley notice it. If I try to take a deep breath the pain becomes more intense and sharp. Sometimes it makes it impossible to take a full breath. When I was younger I remember the pain being more severe but it would never last for more than 30 minutes. Today I have has this pain for more than six hours but no doubt it will be gone in the morning. I have never considered the pain severe enough to warrant a doctors vist and it doesn't occur that often, maybe once a month. What could this be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:21 am

User avatar Hello,

There are several causes for chest pain that occurs on deep inspiration. Pleurisy which is an inflammation of the tissue lining the chest wall and lungs is the classic cause of this. Pericarditis can also cause chest pain on inspiration. The most common cause however, would be related to the chest wall muscles and tissues. In those cases pulling on the tissue triggers the pain sensation.

The only way to know for sure what this is and if it's serious or not would be to get it examined by a doctor.

Best regards,
 mattpd - Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:04 am

Are any of these life time diseases? I have experienced this from a young age.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:05 pm

User avatar No these are not life time diseases. These are the diseases that are known to be associated with chest pain on inspiration.

If you thought it was significant enough to warrant posting a question about it here, I suggest that you have it examined.
 The Blob - Tue May 12, 2009 7:51 pm

I am 15 years old and I've been experiencing the same exact thing for as long as I can remember. The longest I've ever had this happen was a little over 10 minutes, recently actually. I get them randomly, sometimes once a month or sometimes on consecutive days. I hate it, especially the time it happened during the middle of a basketball game, I could barely breathe! Have you heard anything new?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here