Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Do I have walking pneumonia?

star_4487 - Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:19 am

My symptoms started out as if I had the flu. I was really tired, my throat hurt, my legs became really sore, my ears started hurting, I had chills-then later got really hot (and at some points nauseous), etc. (All which I have read are signs of pneumonia). I got better from all that bad stuff that kept me in bed, but after that my throat was still bothersome, I was sneezing a lot etc. Two days ago I woke up and my voice was hoarse. Yesterday it was worse and today it was a little better. Along with the hoarse voice though came a bad cough. It is a dry cough. Once even when I was in a store I got a bad tickle in the throat (only in one spot) that I couldnt get rid of no matter how much I coughed. I was coughing so hard it probably sounded like I was going to throw up. I had to leave the store because it was such a horrible feeling and it wouldnt go away (but did once I ate something). I had that feeling twice before, once right before I got full blown pneumonia, and another time without pneumonia. My cough gets worse and night and worse when I lay down at night for bed. Sometimes I even have to think about breathing because it feels weird upon inhalation, a feeling I cant really describe. I have poor health insurance so a doctor visit is not the best option for me. Do you think this is walking pneumonia? Is there anyway to tell without going to a doctor? Are there any meds that can be prescribed without a visit? Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:16 pm

User avatar Hi Star_4487,

Walking pneumonia is possible. Walking pneumonia is a common name for an infection also known as an atypical pneumonia. Atypical comes from the fact that it is caused by mycoplasma an "atypical" bacteria. It is treated with an antibiotic called azithromycin.

Your symptoms may also be caused by the flu. Influenza can cause all the symptoms you describe.

It is unlikely that you will be able to get prescription medications without being evaluated. You may want to call your local health department. Often there are clinics that can see patients without insurance on a free or reduced fee basis. Your local health department can help you find these clinics.

|