News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Do I have walking pneumonia?

star_4487 - Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:19 am

My symptoms started out as if I had the flu. I was really tired, my throat hurt, my legs became really sore, my ears started hurting, I had chills-then later got really hot (and at some points nauseous), etc. (All which I have read are signs of pneumonia). I got better from all that bad stuff that kept me in bed, but after that my throat was still bothersome, I was sneezing a lot etc. Two days ago I woke up and my voice was hoarse. Yesterday it was worse and today it was a little better. Along with the hoarse voice though came a bad cough. It is a dry cough. Once even when I was in a store I got a bad tickle in the throat (only in one spot) that I couldnt get rid of no matter how much I coughed. I was coughing so hard it probably sounded like I was going to throw up. I had to leave the store because it was such a horrible feeling and it wouldnt go away (but did once I ate something). I had that feeling twice before, once right before I got full blown pneumonia, and another time without pneumonia. My cough gets worse and night and worse when I lay down at night for bed. Sometimes I even have to think about breathing because it feels weird upon inhalation, a feeling I cant really describe. I have poor health insurance so a doctor visit is not the best option for me. Do you think this is walking pneumonia? Is there anyway to tell without going to a doctor? Are there any meds that can be prescribed without a visit? Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:16 pm

User avatar Hi Star_4487,

Walking pneumonia is possible. Walking pneumonia is a common name for an infection also known as an atypical pneumonia. Atypical comes from the fact that it is caused by mycoplasma an "atypical" bacteria. It is treated with an antibiotic called azithromycin.

Your symptoms may also be caused by the flu. Influenza can cause all the symptoms you describe.

It is unlikely that you will be able to get prescription medications without being evaluated. You may want to call your local health department. Often there are clinics that can see patients without insurance on a free or reduced fee basis. Your local health department can help you find these clinics.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here