News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Sternum feels bruised

mole1976 - Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:35 pm

Hello, I am a 32 year old male. I recently had a bad sore throat, so I was given Bioxin, I do not think it worked...it went away on its own after a couple weeks. As I was feeling better I redid the floors of my house, on my hands and knees scrapping. Immediatly after I had a strange crushing feeling in my whole chest area.
The doctors in the ER did all kinds of tests,chest x-ray, ekg, blood, and pawned it off as Pleurisy. My GP does not think it is pleurisy, because it does not hurt to inhale. Now have sent me to a cardiologist for a stress test. Now I have a really distinct bruised feeling in my sternum, it hurts to touch. Could this bruised feeling be just a muscle strain, or due to trying to cough as directed if it were plerurisy? I do not cough up phlem or have any other symptoms. Any other suggestions? I am taking anti inflammitory meds, they do not help. Thanks
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:22 pm

User avatar Hi,

It just looks as if you do have a muscle pull which is causing you this pain. You are 32 year old, the pain did come on first after some real strenuous work and now it hurts to touch the area. All these go on to indicate it to be a musculoskeletal pain.

However in matters such as these its not wise to be complacent and as your doctors says it is always better to go for a stress test and echocardiogram to rule out any heart ailment.

Apurva.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here