Question: enlarging bump on my left near or on ribs

krlb1944 - Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:50 am

I am seventeen years old, and overweight. I've gained weight the last six months and I have a tenderness on my left rib cage. It has gotten bigger in the last couple of months and it has begun to hurt if I press on it, lay on it, inhale deeply or stretch. My right rib cage doesn't have this symptom. I'll be going to the doctor soon, but I'd like to get an opinion sooner. Might someone know?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Hopefully by now you've been to the doctor and what was discovered was what's known as costochondritis, an inflammation of the connective tissue between the ribs and especially where the ribs connect with the sternum (breastbone). This is the most common cause of the symptoms you describe, and it is treated most often with over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain meds (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (as Advil or Motrin). This usually is all that's required to resolve the problem.

I hope you're feeling much better by now. Please follow up with us as needed.

|