News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Right chest/lung pain

FloridaGirl22 - Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:14 pm

I am a 22 year old female-Have had asthma for 18 years. For the past 2 days Ive had pain in my right lung, around & under my breast, & it radiates around my side into my shoulder. It is a nonstop pain, & nothing seems to releive it.It worsens when I breathe in deeply, or when I cough(& I have a lot of mucus & phlegm when I do cough). I have used my nebulizer(with albuterol), taken Prednisone & Vicoprofen, & still, no relief. I cant get into see my doctor until next Tuesday & Im really trying to figure out whats going on.
Any ideas? Please help!
Thanks!
 Dr. A. Madia - Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:28 am

User avatar Hi FloridaGirl,

Chest pain which increases in intensity and when you cough has two possible causes. One is the classic musculoskeletal pain which comes from the muscles and bones of the chest. Another is from Pleura that is the thin membrane cover of the lungs. This pleura may get infected, get a collection of fluid or even some pus. The fact that you have asthma for 18 years makes this possibility of a pleuritic pain more likely.

You do need a consultation with your internist and then some X rays and blood tests.

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here