Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Pain below ribcage, left side

sj - Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:40 pm

i was unsure where to post this, so i apologize if this is the inappropriate page.

i was shoveling snow for a few hours yesterday (something i seldom do), and during that, i began to feel a pain on my left side, below the ribcage, when i would bend down to push the shovel, thereby exerting myself. now the pain comes when i try to get up from bed, push my stomach muscles in hard while sitting, when i put pressure on that area, etc. the pain is dull, but i can't tell if it's due to soreness. it's not there, however, when i'm simply just sitting, standing, etc. in other words, it appears something has to be done for the pain to be induced.

my hunch was that perhaps this was a muscle (maybe diaphragm) pull, or just soreness. could this be something else at all?

thank you very much
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:31 pm

User avatar Hi sj,

From your description, yours is the classic case of a musculoskeletal pain, that is pain occuring due to undue pull of one of your chest muscles resulting from unaccustomed physical activity.

Apply some ointment containing pain reliever and musle relaxant, you will be okay within no time.

Check out my article 'Chest pain in young females' on this very site.

Apurva

|