News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Pain below ribcage, left side

sj - Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:40 pm

Hello,

i was unsure where to post this, so i apologize if this is the inappropriate page.

i was shoveling snow for a few hours yesterday (something i seldom do), and during that, i began to feel a pain on my left side, below the ribcage, when i would bend down to push the shovel, thereby exerting myself. now the pain comes when i try to get up from bed, push my stomach muscles in hard while sitting, when i put pressure on that area, etc. the pain is dull, but i can't tell if it's due to soreness. it's not there, however, when i'm simply just sitting, standing, etc. in other words, it appears something has to be done for the pain to be induced.

my hunch was that perhaps this was a muscle (maybe diaphragm) pull, or just soreness. could this be something else at all?

thank you very much
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:31 pm

User avatar Hi sj,

From your description, yours is the classic case of a musculoskeletal pain, that is pain occuring due to undue pull of one of your chest muscles resulting from unaccustomed physical activity.

Apply some ointment containing pain reliever and musle relaxant, you will be okay within no time.

Check out my article 'Chest pain in young females' on this very site.

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here