News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Numbness on left side of chest under left breast.

Plazmo - Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:21 am

I'm a 19 year old male and I've noticed that an area of skin under my left breast is completely numb, as if Novocaine was injected into it. I know that it feels like that because I remember going to the dentist and what my cheeks felt like after he used it on me.... same feeling. I noticed this a few years ago but I've never really bothered to pay attention to it until now.
Thanks
 Dr. A. Madia - Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:24 am

User avatar Hi,

Has there been any injury at the spot in the past? Was there ever a boil in that place? Have you ever sufferred a Herpez Zoster rash on the area? Have you been a diabetic?

Beacuse these are the organic causes of a numbness which is caused by dysfunction of the local nerve supply of the area.

On the other hand it may also have to do with the concerned nerve root getting compressed at the level of spinal cord.

I would like if you posted some more detail about the history and other features.

Apurva
 Plazmo - Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks for replying =]

I know for a fact that I have never been injured there, had a boil or had a rash there in the past.

To be honest there aren't many other features about it. The area where the numbness is located it the same color as the rest of my chest. It doesn't swell or stick out in any way. The only way I can find it is when I scratch because as soon as I hit that area I feel nothing.

I don't know for sure how long it has been there. I just noticed it one day when I was scratching my chest.

If it is spinal compression... is it/can it be serious? I do have a checkup soon at my hospital so maybe I can bring it up.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here