Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Pneumonia and Broken Rib??

tiameag3971 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:48 pm

I went to the ER, had x-rays and was diagnosed with pneumonia 1 week ago today and have been taking Levaquin 500 mg once daily (to be taken 10 days) along with a breathing treatment of Atrovent .250 mg/ml and Berotec every 6-8 hours. I started out taking Amoxicillin but I had an allergic reaction so the Dr. started me on the Levaquin last Monday. I have no fever, no headache just an ugly cough at night and I'm still coughing up light yellow/green mucous. It has improved but it's been a week and I still hear the crackles and wheezing in my lungs. I'm now experiencing pain in the lower part of my right rib cage when I move a certain way and it's hard to get comfortable lying down. You can imagine the pain when I need to cough. My question is should the wheezing and crackling still be going on if my last antibiotic will be taken in 2 days? Do I need another round? Also what can be done for a fractured/broken rib?

Please Help!! I am miserable :(
 Dr. A. Madia - Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 am

A pneumonia is a consolidation of lumgs' air exchange spaces which fill up with infected secretions. The inflammation caused by this extends to the Pleura [membrane covering the lungs] also, and it is this which causes,the pain when you cough.

If you are not improving with antibiotics a change is needed but this time the antibiotic should be changed as per the Culture-sensitivity testing done from the sputum.

If the pain in the ribcage has appeared or got worse, a repeat X ray shoul be done to rule out an associated Pleural Effusion [collection of fluid in the membrane].

Take care,

Apurva

|