News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Stabbing chest pains and shortness of breath

cameron - Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:21 am

Hi I am 25 years old female, I have very very low blood pressure and sometimes faint because of this. But I am experiencing stabbing chest pains and shortness of breath these days. The stabbing panes happened about 6 times a day. I am not overweight at all.
What can I do?
 Dr. A. Madia - Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:03 am

User avatar Hi Cameron,

You have not said what your height and weight are. There is a typical body habitus where a person is medium height to tall, thin, a little below normal weight and has low blood pressure. This body habitus is called 'Hyposthenic'

Hyposthenics also somtimes have associated Mitral valve prolapse wherein the heart valve called Mitral is long and buckles up during heart contraction. This is often associated with various kind of chest pains and shortness of breath. This condition is absolutely benign and has no dire consequences whatsoever.

If you are not a hyposthenic or have an MVP, the stabbing pains you have may result from a muscle pull or from an inflamed pleura [membrane covering the lungs]. A visit to your doctor followed by any tests that she advises would be in order.

Apurva

Apurva
 rubytuesday2 - Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 pm

I have the same symptoms that the girl above stated, and my body type fits into that description you gave. Is there anyway to minimize these pains? Is it caused by an absence of some vital nutrient or what?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here