Question: Pain In Lower Left Chest, Approx 1 1/2" Below Breast

JSG3641 - Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Approx. two weeks ago while at work (and after doing nothing of particular difference, as I was standing still when this began) I began experiencing a dull pain in my lower left chest that gradually expanded around to a similar area on my back. The pain gradually increased and soon it became painful to breathe.

Eventually I made it home from work and pain subsided the next day, but it was still there, though now localized to primarily the previously mentioned chest area.

Cut to now and the pain has been coming and going for the past two weeks. Typically it will occur when I am lying down and attempet to make a full inhalation/exhalation. The pain will come on not in a sharp way but strong enough to cause a good amount of discomfort and I will have to slowly inhale or exhale. Also, a fluttering sensation of sorts or movement of some kind feels like it is accompanying the inhaltion and/or exhalation in the previously mentioned area.

Currently, sitting here typing, I feel absolutely no pain or irregularities of any kind which is really throwing me off on what exactly this is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Details that might be helpful about my life style include that since the start of the year I have been leading a much more active life style than the norm, jogging a mile about three or four days a week with light weight lifting. Also my work load has been extreme, working 6 days a week for about a total of 65 hours each week. I am a music venue/restaurant manager and administrator and my job requires no extreme or abnormal physical exertion. I drink on average twice a week and was also a marijuana smoker for the past five years. For the past 43 days, however, I have not smoked.
 Dr. A. Madia - Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:23 am

User avatar Hi Jsg,

Here are some facts about a chest pain which might be useful to you:

Chest pain well localized is mostly non-cardiac.
Chest pain inframammary area i.e. just below the breast is almost always non cardiac.
Chest pain increasing on deep breathing is non cardiac, either musculo skeletal or pleural.
Chest pain on coughing is non-cardiac.

So now you can see for yourself that your pain is either musculoskeletal that is coming from the rib cage or the muscles in between or it is pleural.
Pleural pain consists of a pneumonia, TB, Pleural effusion. You mey need to consult your internist to get the relevant tests like basic blood work and a chest X Ray done.

Apurva

|