Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Tightness in Bronchial Area

utindianmommy - Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:08 am

I noticed over 8 months ago that if I lay on my side or my husband lays on me or drapes his arm over me that it causes me to cough. Now when I sit in my car with my seatbealt on or I am not sitting up tall, I have the urge to cough and I feel pressure in my broncial/lung area. I was recently sick with a sinus infection and the nurse practiciner told me my chest/lungs were tight. I told her what had been going on and she said it was probably because my lungs didn't have enough space when I am sitting/lying down. Now all of the sudden my lungs don't have enough room? Should I be concerned? I finished my meds and still have that feeling. It does not bother me to take a deep breath, it is on the exhale and has more to do with the area between my sternum and throat. I am 41 year old female with no knowledge of family history. Other then this issue I feel great, never really sick, just had bloodwork done and all is well except the LDL is 122. I am a little overweight but very active. Any help would be great, Thank you.
 Dr. A. Madia - Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:34 pm

The situations where you have your problems are all where the Total Lung Capacity [TLC] is slightly compromised either due to position or pressure. Generally this slight reduction is not noticable beacuse nature has built in some reserve capacity in our lungs.

Normal breathing has two components. Inspiration [taking air in] and expiraion [exhaling the air out]. Inspiration lasts slightly longer than expiration. In certain lung conditions such as bronchial asthma , chronic bronchitis, and Emphysema the bronchi go into spasm and though the person can comfortably inhale, the exhalation becomes difficult due to Lungs' recoil. Thus exhalation becomes not only difficult but more prolonged too.

With your smoking history it is just possibly likely that you have started manifestations of chronic bronchitis or emphysema. A consultation with a pulmonologist and a Pulmonary Function Test will settle the issue.

Take care,

Apurva

|