News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: sudden feeling of panic

ariane - Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:18 pm

For about two weeks now, I have experienced sudden instances of tightness in my chest as in an acute stress situation. It lasts only a second and feels like the kind of tingly feeling in your chest that comes with intense anxiety or panic: the kind you get when something terrible happens, like when you realize that you just almost dropped your baby. I get it about 10 to 15 times a day, and it is often triggered by something absolutely trivial or nothing at all. I feel like my heat stopped for a second or jumped a beat. It's also a bit like a hot flash. It's always over after a second, but it's getting me a little worried. Do you have any idea what this may be?
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:36 pm

User avatar Hi Ariane,

Sudden onset tightness in chest that lasts only a second and comes on repeatedly in a day could very possibly be a panic attack.

Tightness in chest due to heart ailment like angina always lasts somewhere between 5-20 minutes, whereas tightness of a heart attcke lasts much longer unless untreated.

GERD [Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease] can also sometimes cause retrosternal tightness but still it wont last just a second.

Kindly try to evaluate if there is any reson for you to be anxious lately? Are you anticipating something eagerly? Or are you dreading some possible event that you would not like to happen?

Meanwhile you could start on some antacid with some OTC tranquilising pill. If you don't feel better in a day or two, please contact your physician.

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here