Question: Deep Chronic Chest Pain left side.

wasley81 - Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi I'm 27, male and a non smoker.
I’m pretty healthy, but in constant pain.

I have been suffering with this chest pain for 7 years now.

To cut a very long story short, basically I had a very bad chest
infection about 7 years ago. This has left with chronic chest pain.

I used to smoke allot of cannabis at the time which I feel
As has damaged my lungs/heart or something in my chest causing me to have
Daily chest pain. That infection has changed my life.

I have always got a very dull and very deep pain around the area of my heart, front and back.

The pain I get is very hard for me to describe, I get alot of different pains
all over the left hand side of my chest and back and sometimes shooting pains down my left arm.
I get a sharp stabbing pain deep in between somewhere near my 3rd rib up on the left, this pain I don't get too often but when
I get it, its pretty unbearable and last for about 30 secs….I can’t move or breathe.

The pain I’m most worried about that has only started recently seems a
It’s a very dull and very deep pain. I can't make this pain any worst or any better.

Its generated from around the heart area, front and back. but deep! so kind of
in between my front and back ribs.
It feels constantly like my heart is under some sort of pressure and there
is something around it crushing it making it hurt.
I get allot of very painful cramps amount this area mailing near the front of my chest that really scares me.
I also get some very large and painful heart beats...enough to make me jump out of
My seat and scream in pain. Almost like a electric shock in the chest.

Exercise doesn’t seem to make this any worst, but then i don't do too much
Hard core exercise to notice, I do allot of walking though and that doesn't effect
it at all. I never seem to get out of breath and I do feel pretty fit.

One thing that does seem to make this worse for some reason is alcohol, if i have been
out for a drink,the next day i'm in so much pain.

I have been trying to at least find out what this is for years. It does seem to be getting slowly worst.

I have been to 3 chest specialists, I have had loads of x rays, tried every
Anti inflammatory and pain killer.
I have had a few ECGs. Nothing seems to show up and nothing seems to help my pain.When a doctor listens to my chest it seems to sound ok.
The only things i haven't had which i think might show something is a CT scan. on my lungs and heart...but not sure if something will show up?

This is really affecting my life and now and really need some help
as i feel I have run out of options on things to try…I get now where with my local doctor and I have to wait months to see a specialist...bit sick of going to hospital and
not finding out whats wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is not a anxiety or digestive problem.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Sorry about the essay…
 Dr. A. Madia - Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:23 am

User avatar Hi.

From the description of your pain it does not fit in to the typical cardiac pain neither it is characteristic of any lung disorder. Inspite of this it is advisable to get all possible tests to get to the root of the cause of the pain after seeing a specialist. If he agrees he may advise you a Stress Test, an Echocardiogram, Chest X ray, a CT scan of thorax etc.

However in my opinion your kind of pain, I have seen it to be caused by a condition called Cervical Spodylosis wherein the discs in one's cervical spine would be compressing the nerve roots and causing pain in arm, shoulder, back and upper front of chest.

I hope this is useful to you,

Apurva
 wasley81 - Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:18 am

Thank you very much for your help and opinion.

I have had a Echocardiogram about 6 months ago and everything showed up find, is it possible for an Echocardiogram to miss something that might be causing pain in the heart?

I think the only thing that might put mind at rest is having a CT scan, but i can't get my specailist to give me one.

Could my chest infection of caused Cervical Spodylosis in anyway?

One thing that does baffle me is..sometimes i get a really big heart beat, this is sometime extremely painfully, this gives me a bit of a shock and worries me.
Is this possible this is something different and not anything to do with my pain?

Thanks very much for your help

\A/

|