News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: inhaled dust on job site/chest tightness

Storm2850 - Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:58 pm

On my recent job site we were demolishing some old structures most were wood. We didn't actually cut any wood but the building is old and inclosed, there was a considerable amount of dust. The entire crew was coughing, eyes watering, sneezing. We were provided masks the following day. However, withing 48 hours I started having tightness in my chest, and developed a dry unproductive cough, I have a decreased appetite and a general feeling like I am tired all the time and just need to sleep. Do you think this is something serious? Or will it go away on its own
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:28 am

User avatar Hi,

Inhalation of dust particles can cause a reflex spasm of the bronchi.[wind pipes]. This is partly allergic, partly due to irritation. It can cause sever sneezing and watering of eyes also. The bronchospasm will be followed be excess secretion of mucus in your bronchi. This in turn leads to congestion, and coughing. There is also associated inflammation. This inflammed tissue catches bacterial infection from air easily and one feels feverish, fatigued, malaise, tiredness.

A routine course of antibiotic advised by your doctor with a bronchodilator syrup and a mucolytic agent will do you a lot of good.

I hope this is helpful,

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here