Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Pain after getting pnemonia in the middle of January

re_becca - Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:20 pm

In January I got bacterial pnemonia causes by a staff infection, and almost died. My mother was told that if I had gotten to the hopsital even two hours latter that I would have died. I was in the room when she was told this, but completly out of it and didn't hear.

It's two months later, and I still have pain in my chest, and still have breathing and intensivied pain if I do anything phsycial like go down stairs to get something and come back up.

Last week I went to see my doctor about it. She was in the middle of telling me I had something really long that started with ch, when her receptionist came in and said that the day care was calling. My doctor asked her to take a message, and the receptionist said it there was an emergency regarding her child. She left in a hurry, and I left shortly afterwards (what's the use of sticking around when the doctor has left). I did understand why she left though.

I don't want to make another appointment for the same thing, and ask for to to explain what she was saying. It was a long word, and I don't remeber the name of it.

Would you happen to know? Can you explain it?
 Dr. A. Madia - Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:31 am

User avatar Hi Re_becca,

Pneumonia is infection of the lower resoiratory tract which consist of terminal bronchioles and alveoli that is the bubble like micro cavities responsible for gas exchange. These alveoli get infected and are filled with products of inflammation and are temporarily out of commission an cannot do their function of gas exchange. Technically this process of alveoli infection is called Consolidation. Severe forms can lead to hypoxia.[Low oxygen tension in blood.]

Complications of pneumonia can be Pleural effusion [Fluid filling bet the lungs and covering membrane], Empyema [pus in that same pleural cavity], Lung abscess, bacteremia [spread of bacteria in blood], septicemia [spread of infection throughout the body], septic arthritis, Infection of the heart muscle [myocarditis, endocarditis, pericarditis etc]. Most dreaded one is ARDS [acute respiratory distress syndrome] and respiratory failure. [You just possibly had this when your doctor said you could have died.]

I can't think of any other complication of pneumonia other than these and starting with a Ch. Your doctor could possibly mean a Chronic Bronchitis but this is not a complication of pneumonia, and an entirely different disease.

You should get in touch with your doctor on this and in fact it will throw some more light on the reason of your current breathlessness.

Apurva
 re_becca - Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:17 pm

Thank you Dr. Madia:

I've been thinking I should go back to see her too. I certianly understand that an emergency with her child took presidence over me, being a child-care provider myself.

But...

I didn't get to ask any questions, or even get her to repeat the name she just said (which is the name of what she thought I had).

So I guess I should return.

|