Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: blood in sputum

monilhathi - Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:17 pm

Hi
I am 28 yr old healthy male ...the past month i had some GI upsets.
however i was normal till yesterday...i had a complete blood/urine/stool profile done recently and all reports were normal..except my Tryglyceride levls of 272 mg/dl. due to a desk job i thought some excerise would do good...i started some light exercises for 2/3 days...mainly stretching....
Yesterday i developed abdominal cramps and pain in and around my stomach...this i ignored it and thought must be due to exercises...
However I had some blood in my sputum as I spit. This occurs rarely and till now i have spitted more than 20 times ..but blood has come only 3 times....
can anybody help me on this?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:53 pm

User avatar monilhathi,
Blood streaked sputum can be the result of vessel congestion. Inflammation of the airways leads to mucosal hyperemia, and disruption of small mucosal vessels produces blood-streaked sputum. This is usually a self limited condition. You did not specify why you should have sputum in the first place are you a smoker? Did you catch a cold? Or does this happen only after excercise.
If it doesnt happen again I would worry about it.
Tamer Fouad, M.D.
 pichu - Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:21 pm

I too have experienced the same problems, where I have the tendency to spit up many times a day. There were however, two instances in the past 3 months in which I have spit up large wads of neon green/yellow phlegm. And several times that I've spit up tiny balls of thick yellow green phlegm which to the touch feels very rubbery. As with the previous poster I have found streaks of egg-white colored substance in my the spit that feels like it's coming from the lungs, and on several occasions would find streaks or spots of blood. Not alot usually, it would contribute to maybe 5% of all the sputum coughed up.

I don't have a cough of any sort, however my chest would have a slightly sharp pain every now and then on one side, and there is a slight tightness that seems to keep me from a full capacity breath. I would breathe in normally and then at a third of the way to filling my lungs I can't seem to breathe in any more.

My heartbeat has also increased to an abnormal rate of a counted 80-95 beats a minute. I had gotten checked up 2 months ago and the doctor said I most likely was anxious.

I have a short history of smoking, I was an infrequent smoker, perhaps a pack a week, and I had only done so for less than a year before I quit. I had quit about 5-6 months ago and this problem with the breathing has fluctuated from better to worse about a month after quitting.

As said before, it was better then worse then better, where I feel Id be able breathe better, but not completely.

|