Question: Upper Chest pain when breathing along with gurgling at times

Avolon - Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:13 am

about 2 1/2 weeks ago the doctors suspected that I got Influenza A, they didnt check me out they were seeing my children who got sick soon after I did. Anyways about 2 weeks after I started coughing and was starting to feel better my cough came back with a vengence! and I feel like everything is starting all over again. The cough, 2 days of sore throat, the headache's, eyes sensitive to lights and always watering, I even had a fever yesterday off and on. I also lost my voice for a while. My nose is so stuffy that I cant sleep well. Yesterday I started getting sharp pains in my upper chest strangely enough sometimes all the way into my breasts, my lungs kind of feel like they are being squeezed at times and the gurgling in my chest makes me cough alot. I had to sit all the way up last night in order to be able to breathe without coughing much and to unclog my nose. Also last night there were times I felt like I was breathing though a straw and I believe I was wheezing. I was thinking about going to see the doctor but I don't feel as bad as I did last night, I'm coughing and my chest is a little tight, the pain when breathing isnt so bad now. My husband is pushing me to see a doctor but Money is tight. What should I do?
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 am

I understand your difficulty, but from the way you describe your illness makes me think of a viral respiratory tract infection, now going into the second phase of secondary bacterial infection with bronchitis and wheezing.

Some simple household remedies that might help you are salt water gargles 3-4 times a day and steam inhalation.

You can take some otc products like a bronchodilator cough syrup and some tylenol.

However I do think you need some antibiotics and may be for this you may need to consult at least a family physician-GP.

Apurva
 Avolon - Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 am

thank you so very much for replying to my questions, I really am grateful but...
Well all the Doctors offices have been very much full and unless you have a fever and feel your dying they want you to wait for an appt. I still gurgle and wheeze a little at night but my cough is going away. One thing that has changed for the worse is that I feel like my throat is swollen and the soreness has spreed to my lower gums.... so when I swallow I feel pain starting from my jaw then going down my throat halfway. My gums are very painful to the touch especially where my wisdom teeth go in and out but I don't believe they are moving at the moment and even if they were they never cause this much gum pain in the whole lower jaw. I havent had a fever since last week. Is this something I can just wait out or do I NEED Antibiotics? and if so how do I convince the Doctors offices that I cant wait?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:45 pm

User avatar Hi Avalon -

Hopefully by now you have been seen by someone and treated for what likely was a secondary bacterial infection that was getting out of control. My advice would have been yes, you did need to be seen at once. You first described a developing bacterial bronchitis, but your follow up post suggested you may have had a very serious infection not only in your upper bronchial tree but also perhaps strep in your throat causing what is known as Vince's angina, which causes the nasopharynx and even the teeth and jaw to hurt as you described. And while Vince's angina has nothing to do with your heart, the sort of pain you describe (throat and jaw pain) can also, especially in women, be caused by heart problems as well, so you really did need to be seen right away.

I hope this finds you feeling much better now, since you seemed to be feeling pretty awful by the time of your second post and by the standard of your busy doctors' practices, you should have been a high priority at that point.

Again, I hope you are well. Please do follow up with us.

|