Question: Radiating chest pain and stomach issues

VAN1178 - Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:11 am

I've been having chest symptoms since Nov last year. At that time I went to the ER, got an x-ray, it came back negative and EKG with was normal. The PA gave me Ibuprophen and I was released, she said I just needed some rest and that I was fine, but come back if the symptoms happen again. This did not put my mind at ease; so I found a doctor and explained my symptoms, which are:

-constant and radiating, I'm always feeling the pain somewhere in my body; sometimes it's bareable and other times very debilitating. Sometimes, I don't even know where the paid is coming from specifically
-it hurts so much, and sometimes it feels like I'm having an out of body experience, for example, I'm at work typing, but it doesn't feel like I'm actually typing; but my work gets done the way it's supposed to.
-chest tightening, sometimes it feels like I can't breathe or I have to remind myself to breathe; my breathing is very labored
-sharp and sometimes dull pain that feels like it's directly behing my chest plate; or like a balloon is being blown inside my chest and blocking something, but I can't tell what's being blocked.
-back ribs hurt and are sometime tender to the touch
-slight dry cough and runny/stuffy nose (this might be because I've been traveling for a few days now and the climate's been changing from rain to sun to rain to clouds.)
-my whole body gets tense at times and I find it hard to relax, I don't even notice that I'm not relaxed until someone says to me relax or I move and realize that I was a little tense.
-at separate times my left pectoral muscle feels tense, like I've been doing bench presses for days.
-This tense feeling spreads to my left shoulder, neck and a little bit in my jaw area
-muscle spasms in my left arm and sometimes a sharp pain in the wrist, forearm or shoulder area (but all three never hurt at the same time).
-Dizzyness, light-headed
-loss of appetite
-insomnia
-My vision is sometimes blurry

When these symptoms intensify, I freak-out and it feels like I'm dying...which makes me worry even more. That's one of the main reasons I can't sleep and it's not like a I'm afraid to die...it's just very discomforting.

Okay, so here's a little medical background. I've smoked for the past 7-8 years, about 1 pack a day. I planned to quite, but ended-up taking a break for three months and started again one month ago. I'm getting back on the horse, I've been cutting down (4 to 5 cigs a day) and then will quit in a few days. I've had liposuction done to my chest, stomach and legs in Dec 2006. I've done cocaine almost everyday for about one year and drank a lot of alcohol in that time. Currently, I have't touch either substance in over two months. My sister had asthma and my mom battles high blood pressure. I'm lactose intolerant, but not allergic to any medication and a vegetarian. I've been a vegetarian for a long time, then last year I started eating meat, but now, for about a month I'm back to being a vegetarian .

My doctor said there was something wrong with my digestive system and gave me Prilosec and Ibuprophen for the pain, but the Prilosec didn't really work. She gave me a full blood test, which came back negative; except my white blood count was elevated as if fighting off an infection and my bad cholesterol was 1 point over the norm. She said everything was okay and I should just stay away from acidic and fried foods. Then she prescribed a muscle relaxer, I can't rememer the name, but it only made me sleep and I had to work; so I stopped taking it. She then prescribed Lorazepam to help with anxiety and it has been helping to keep me calm, but my worries and freaking out is still present, especially with these symptoms.

I'm seeing a new doctor, cause i'm in a different city. He thinks it's a stomach/digestive problem and gave me omeprazole 20mg 1 per day and it has helped to ease my stomach, but I'm still getting chest, lung and muscle pains.

Does anyone know what I'm dealing with here or can make any suggestions on what to do to alleviate some pain. The doctors said I should exercise, but I'm kinda afraid my heart with beat too fast, pop out of my chest and/or rupture something.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. Your opinion is great appreciated.

THANX!!!
 Dr. A. Madia - Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:08 pm

From your story, it does not look like you ahve a heart pain. All chest pain is not heart pain. Forget about the heart and do start exercising. Your heart will nor pop out or something.

It very good you have again started to cut on smoking. Get rid of it and stay that way. And I do agree with your new doctor that this could be related to stomach and gas problems. Omeprazole is already working it seems. be a little carefree and do some great aerobic routines. Every thig will be fine.\

Apurva

|