Question: Tight/pressure type feeling in chest and left arm...

hippiewitch - Tue May 20, 2008 5:18 am

I've posted here before. I'm a 28 year old female. I'm posting tonite because sometimes such as tonite,I get a tight feeling or feeling of pressure in my chest when walking and sometimes in my left shoulder and arm,too. I can get some tightness when sitting,too. I have wondered before if I had reflux,and I haven't been tested for it,but my doctor thought symptoms I had in the past sounded like gerd. I wasn't eating mexican food and then have been able to this year. But sorry to say,I get gas sometimes after using the bathroom and what I describe as a 'yucky feeling'. Thankfully I didn't get much gas tonite. And I had mexican food for lunch today. I just naturally more than hope these feelings aren't heart related. When I got the tight or pressure type feeling in my chest tonite, all I did was walk from the store to the car. I wasn't feeling great in the car,either,and I had this feeling in my throat like I couldn't breathe well or something. I'm not overweight-I have some stomache fat I'd like to lose but I'm not overweight. I haven't weighed myself since September,and then I weighed 117.5 but I guess I gained some weight since then because some of my clothes fit tighter now. I don't exercise,though. Ever. And I work at home. I don't smoke,though,and my blood pressure has always been fine. I had a ekg last year and it was fine,but I know that doesn't always mean anything. Anyway, I just wanted to ask what it sounds like this could be? Thanks.

Michelle
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:10 pm

User avatar Hi again -

Well I just completed a response to your previous post, but now, having read this one, I feel more likely you have a GI problem, and it may be anxiety related. The symptoms, again, are rather vague, but enough to cause you considerable concern. It is often the vague symptoms which cause the most concern, since they are difficult to hang on a specific condition or even organ system.

Since gas is sometimes an issue (and we all get it, don't feel funny about that), and usually does accompany the ingestion of Mexican (and other ethnic) food, that could certainly play a part in this, as could the unconscious swallowing of air, something which occurs more often in anxious people.

You do sound like a very healthy person, and now that the GI symptoms have come to light as playing more of a role (especially the chest discomfort when seated) I have to suspect simple gastric bloating and pressure on the diaphragm as a likely cause of the problem. Still, we do not know these things for certain, and certainly not at a distance, so I'd still recommend you bring these things to the attention of your doctor. A simple hands-on exam could well determine if this is the case.

Again, I hope this finds you well and again please do follow up with us.

|