Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Coughing in the night - asthma?

misty222 - Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:06 am

Hi I'm 21 female no history of asthma or anything. I noticed my chest was getting tight around cats which I am allergic to so I went to my GP who advised that I take an antihistamine every day. He also took a peak flow reading but I'm not sure what it was. The antihistamines were working for a while but now my symptoms are worse. If I am around animals my chest goes really tight and I am wheezing loudly and coughing constantly. The more I cough the worse the wheezing gets. I am also waking up every night at about 4 in the morning coughing and then wheezing. I recently went to the gym and found that after a short while of exercising I could not stop coughing which again leads to the wheezing. Is it likely that I am asthmatic? When I retirn to my GP tomorrow what can I expect? What tests? Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:18 pm

User avatar I'm sorry it took us so long to answer. I'm sure you have seen your doctor by now. It certainly sounds suspicious for asthma and you might even be a candidate for allergy injections that help to desensitize you to allergens. Let us know what you found out and good luck. It is important to be able to get enough air!

|