Question: Injury to Chest - Left Side

re_becca - Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:24 pm

TWo days ago, I was playing with my 4 year old nephew, who is 38 lbs.

I sat on him, with my weight all on my hands, and said "Why's this blanket so lumpy...", and he laughed.

Then he decided to do it to me, only he jumped on me, by jumping in the air and landing on my chest with his bum.

It hurt emeidatly.

The pain is getting worse, and all I want to do is sleep. As soon as I got home that night I went to sleep (at 6:00), and slept until 11:30 that morning, and then in the afternoon I had a 5 hour nap, and I've been sleeping like that ever since.

He jumped on my left side, just under neith my breast.

My mother says it's probably just a cracked rib, and Gramma and that and all they did for her at emergency was bind it up, and tell her to wait until it didn't hurt anymore.

Is there a use to going to the doctor? Should I go, or will he just bind it up as my mother says.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:43 pm

While your mother is probably correct -- usually even cracked ribs usually are wrapped or taped -- it would be wise, with a continued complaint such as this, to at least have it examined and perhaps even x-rayed. While you'll probably wind up with a binding dressing at most, it can't hurt to know exactly what, if anything, is the extent of the injury. And if it is only bruising, binding might not even be the best thing for it.

I'm not sure why the drowsiness, but you might mention that during your visit, should you decide to go.

Good luck to you. Stay in touch.
 re_becca - Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Thank You Dr. John Kenyon, CNA:

I did go to the doctor, and he coincendently said that he has 3 boys and on the weekend when he was playing with them, the same thing happened to him. :) :0 strange.

He felt my ribs, and my stomach and said he thought my ribs were either bruised or cracked, my breathing seemed fine, and everything else seemed fine. Since they don't do anything for cracked ribs anyway, he didn't think that x-rays were needed.

He did say something very helpful though - he said not to favour that side, and to resume regular activity. When I did this at first, it hurt more, but then it got so much better instead of worse as it had stedily got before. I'm not sure why, but I guess bending to one side, and always holding an arm infront the the injured area wasn't good for it and was actually harming it. So I'm glad I went even for that.

Thanks again.

I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you. I had to figure out in my own mind if the other symptoms that came on are due to that or something else: fever, feeling like my skin is burning, stiffness in joints. Finally tonight I figured it out: 3 days ago I started a new drug (topomax) and these are side effects from that. They should go away soon.

So now that I know it's not connected I know I can say thanks without asking more questions.

Thanks again.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:16 am

I'm glad you decided to see your doctor and interesting how that worked out. As a rule there is little or nothing to be done for bruised or cracked ribs, but he did give you excellent advice about favoring it, as you've now learned. Well worth sharing here.

Topamax certainly could explain the other symptoms. That makes perfect sense.

No problem with you taking your time writing back. I'm just glad you followed up and that all seems to be more or less as it should be. Good job.

Take care and thanks for updating us.

|